Monday, March 10, 2008

Let's talk guitars...........

Now you say to yourself I'm a gigging guitarist and I want a guitar that:
1. Plays great
2. Sound great (and will sound even better with a little modification)
3. Looks great
4. Won't break the bank

Sure there are many guitars out there that fit the bill. If single coil pickup guitars are your thing, you could go with the Fender Stratocaster, or the Telecaster.

The guitar we are going to discuss today is....

The PRS SE line!

I personally play both the SE Custom and the SE Singlecut and I can attest that both are excellent guitars. If your going to be playing clubs with small stages or no stage, you might be a little wary of taking a high dollar guitar to one of these gigs. The SE line is perfect for this type of show. Now instead of worrying about damaging an expensive axe you can focus on playing.

The SE line of guitars will run you in the neighborhood of $500 (cheaper if you buy used).

Here is an overview of the guitars:

They have a mahogany body with a maple top. Then on top of that, they glue a curly maple veneer (this is just for looks). They
have set-in (glued in) necks made of mahogany, and rosewood fingerboards. The ones I play have a wrap around bridge/tailpiece made of aluminum, it's nice and does a decent job, but I'm looking to upgrade to a Tonepros one. The weak spot
in these guitars is the pickups. They aren't horrible by any means, but I have replaced the bridge pickup in the Custom with a Seymour Duncan JB, and it made a world of difference. The Singlecut I have I bought used and the bridge pickup had been replace by the previous owner with a Dimarzio D Sonic. I don't think this is a good match for this guitar, or at least not for what I'm trying to do musically. The tuners are very good at keeping the guitar in tune, I had thought of maybe upgrading to Sperzels but haven't had any problems with the stock ones so why bother.

The SE's are just a solid, well thought-out design. Even the gig bag that comes with them is top notch.

Well there you have it. If you are looking for an inexpensive but great playing/sounding/looking guitar, I highly recommend you check out a PRS SE. They are well worth what little money you'll spend on them.

Until next time, happy jamming!!!

K @ Music Zen

No comments: